Suspect involved in Kennard standoff faces charges in Washington County


The suspect who allegedly engaged in a standoff with Omaha Police, Nebraska State Patrol and the Pottawattamie County Sheriff's Office is now facing charges in Washington County.

Jason Davenport, 42, of Bellevue, is charged with use of a deadly weapon to commit a felony, a Class 2 felony; possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, a Class 1D felony; terroristic threats, a Class 3A felony; operating a vessel to avoid arrest, a Class 4 felony; and resisting arrest, a Class 1 misdemeanor.

An arrest warrant was issued for Davenport on June 10.

Additionally, Davenport is charged with  four felonies in Douglas County.

According to an arrest affidavit, on May 30 at around 9 p.m., Nebraska State troopers were attempting to locate Davenport, who was wanted for arrest for domestic violence out of Council Bluffs, Iowa, in the 6200 block of 30th Street in Omaha. When the troopers located Davenport driving his vehicle on May 22, he allegedly failed to stop and law enforcement began a pursuit.

On May 30, troopers observed Dana Banks, 40, exiting the residence on 30th Street and heading westbound, and Davenport was spotted shortly after exiting the residence and attempting to jump a privacy fence behind the house.

Troopers made contact with Davenport, who was seen holding a handgun. He was ordered to drop the weapon, but approached an unoccupied patrol unit, firing shots into the air. Davenport attempted to remove a patrol rifle from its rack from the unoccupied patrol car, but was unsuccessful.

More gunshots were fired, and investigators indicated Davenport may have been hit in his torso.

According to in-car camera footage, a grey Ford Fusion was seen approaching the patrol unit next to Davenport. Banks was seen exiting the car to assist Davenport and held him up while they entered the vehicle, Davenport in the driver's side. The two then drove away, with troopers pursuing the vehicle but losing sight of it.

Law enforcement then attempted to locate Davenport via precision location information on his cellphone, which revealed he was in the area of Blair.

At around 3 a.m., a Washington County deputy saw a vehicle — later confirmed to be the Fusion Davenport and Banks were in — on Highway 30 and attempted to pull it over, but the driver turned their headlights off and began a pursuit.

The chase ended in Kennard, and Davenport and Banks were seen exiting the vehicle and running toward a large machine shed, barricading themselves.

The Omaha Police Department's Able-1 helicopter also captured the two exiting the vehicle. Davenport was also seen carrying a rifle.

A standoff between the suspects and law enforcement ensued, during which time Davenport allegedly brandished his weapon, causing officers to fire their weapons. Banks was hit during this event, and she eventually surrendered to officers and received medical care. Davenport remained inside the machine shed until he was apprehended.

Past criminal history revealed that Davenport was a convicted felon — once in March of 2003 for robbery and again in 2005 for possession of a controlled substance in Pottawattamie County District Court.